We all know the Swiss make great watches and it’s true they’re regarded as one of the world’s best. But there are plenty of other famous watch designers, who are worth keeping an eye on for upcoming watch trends. Today we share with you, who we feel as watch manufacturers ourselves, are five of the world’s top watch designers.
We’re mightily proud of the Luxiani watch brand we’ve created and while it’s not in the top five yet, we’re certain it will be incredibly popular! Here are five famous watch designers we love and are inspired by:
- Rolex - founded in London by Hans Wilsdorf and Alfred Davis in 1905, Rolex is now based in Geneva, technically making it a Swiss company. One of the famous and popular watch brands, Rolex is the largest manufacturer of luxury brand watches in the world. It is also one of the most copied watch brands, with plenty of knock offs being sold illegally around the world. Rolex’s strength lies in its value and brand history, and it is renowned for its high quality mechanisms and focus on the creation of precise, robust, accurate, and maintenance free watches.
- Seiko - established in 1881 by Kintaro Hattori, the Seiko company is world famous for creating the first quartz watch: the Seiko Quartz Astron in 1969. This milestone marked a major shift in watchmaking from mechanical to quartz models. Then in 2012, Seiko created the Seiko Astron, the first GPS Solar Watch. The Seiko company has been official timekeepers of many Olympic Games and World Cup tournaments, which has only increased their brand awareness. Seiko’s luxury watch brands are still made in house, as it’s important to ensure their quality control levels remain high.
- Patek Philippe - founded in Switzerland in 1851 by Antoni Patek and Adrien Philippe, Patek Philippe has been a firm favourite among royalty and other celebrities. Queen Victoria and her consort Prince Albert, and even celebrities like Picasso and Albert Einstein have all worn Patek Philippe watches. As one of the world’s most famous watch designers, Patek Philippe is known for its classic, traditional and understated look and highly functional mechanics. Patek Philippe has set the standard for luxury watches too, simply by having many features including the phases of the moon, perpetual calendars and star charts.
- Vacheron Constantin – established in 1755 by Jean-Marc Vacheron in Switzerland, this is one of the oldest watch manufacturers in the world. Vacheron Constantin is well known for providing very complicated designs, exquisite detailing and craftsmanship, mostly owing to its longevity in the watch making industry.
- Casio – created in 1946 in Tokyo, Japan. Casio was not primarily a watch maker, being famous for their electronic devices in the 1970s and 80s before they moved into the manufacture of digital watches. Today they are best known for their shock resistant range G-shock range, often marketed at their young and active customers.
Who are your favourite famous watch designers? We’d love to know! Make certain to view our Virtues Collection of watches too. Ideal for the man or woman who does not waver in the pursuit of excellence, we’re certain it will quickly become one of your firm favourites! As always, we’re here to help you however we can. Contact us today - look forward to hearing from you.